Top 7 SNICK Shows
A staple of growing up in the 90s were the themed TV blocks. We spoke of both TGIF and The Disney Afternoon on this site, and podcast before. Both were hugely successful and featured some of the more memorable shows of our youth.
In the early 90s, Nick tried their hands at this. And crafted perhaps the most memorable block of programming on the network aside from their “NickToons” line-up. It included a cavalcade of shows that are still spoken highly about with our generation. Shows like Pete and Pete, All That, Are You Afraid of the Dark and Clarissa Explains it All.
Today, we are here to count down the 7 Best shows that were part of this more than decade long block on Nick!
7) Space Cases – A sci-fi kids show that handled complex issues and was a thrill to watch.
6) The Secret World of Alex Mack – Nick sure did enjoy shows with kids leading double lives (We skipped The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo and The Journey of Allen Strange), but Alex Mack was the most interesting and fun of the bunch. Alex, her best friend and her sister, did their best to keep Alex’s new found powers a secret and live a normal teenage life.
5) The Adventures of Pete & Pete – The show wit the most curious origins on the block as it originally started as skits that turned into a full blown show. It will best be remembered for its unorthodox sense of humor and style. A show unlike any other at the time for kids and adults alike.
4) Keenan and Kel – “Does Kel love orange soda?” The buddy sitcom of the line-up teamed two of the funniest and brightest child actors on the network in this hip and crazy show.
3) All That – A show that launched the career of hundreds! Maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but this staple of SNICK did help launch shows like Keenan and Kel and the Amanda Show. It was a fun take on the sketch comedy genre, and had tons of memorable characters and quotes.
2) Clarissa Explains it All – The only show that didn’t originally launch on SNICK on our list, made the list because there probably wouldn’t have been a SNICK without the backbone for the first few seasons. Starring a young Melissa Joan Hart as a know-it-all teenager, Clarissa explains it all was fun, fast and clever. A delightful show even to this day.
1) Are You Afraid of The Dark – Ask 100 people about SNICK, and 99 of them would first respond with “Are You Afraid of the Dark?”, a show that freaked us out as a kid. And was a giant staple of the SNICK line-up over the years. The stories were haunting and the set-up even more spooky. It was the perfect way to curl up on a Saturday night.