Talk of the Town: Tom Hardy in Batman 3
Word has come down that Tom Hardy will be appearing in the upcoming Batman 3. While we haven’t been given a role, or for that matter much about the movie, that hasn’t stopped the internet from being ablaze with fan speculation on what roles he could possibly play in the 3rd part of the Nolanverse.
We won’t lie, we’re just like everyone else on the internet. We’re excited for what Tom Hardy could bring to the franchise, and with a character such as Batman with a vast and deep catalog of characters to draw from the speculation is endless, but here are just a few of the options we could see.
1) No one says that Tom Hardy has to necessarily play a villain in the upcoming film. With the death of Harvey Dent at the end of The Dark Knight, Gotham City once again finds itself without a District Attorney. After the death of the last two District Attorneys, it would take some real balls to step into the role. Enter Tom Hardy. While it wouldn’t be a major role, it could serve to balance the scale of justice now that The Batman is wanted by the law.
2) With that said, it is more than likely that Tom Hardy will take up the mantle of one of Batman’s rogues. Â Since the end of The Dark Knight, most fans have beenÂ clamoringÂ for the appearance of one Mr. Edward Nigma better known to the world as The Riddler. If they follow his recent stint in the comic book he would make a most interesting foe for the Dark Knight. And while thematically it makes sense to go with The Riddler, I don’t feel that Tom Hardy fits the mold of the character well. Though personally, I would love to see The Riddler taken serious in one of these films. He is an awesome villain.
3) My first pick based on appearance alone would be for one Dr. Thomas Elliot also known as Hush. While opinions on the quality of the initial story may vary, and even the opinion on the character itself, there is no denying that when it comes to foes that work well in the universe that Nolan has crafted there are few better suited. There will have to be modifications to the character and his tale of course (since we kind of have an idea of Bruce’s childhood from Batman Begins), but I trust in Nolan enough to know that if he wanted to tackle this character he would do him justice. Also this decision was aided in the fact that Hardy and Bale have similar builds and appearances, which is something that has been key to Hush’s story recently.
4) This is an interesting character choice as I believe he can work well in the film, but he couldn’t work alone. I am of course speaking of the Black Mask who has gainedÂ notorietyÂ in the Batverse since the conclusion of the WarGames storyline a few years ago. Between the events of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, there has to be an ever expanding gulf in the ranks of organized crime in Gotham. Enter The Black Mask who sees theÂ vacuumÂ of power and decides to fill it himself in the most ruthless of manners. He could hire some heavy hitters like Bane or Deadshot to deal with Gotham’s Bat problem as he works on his new domain.
(Editor’s Note: For those of you who are unfamiliar with the character of The Black Mask do NOT watch Batman: Under The Red Hood, which makes him look like a joke. Check-out The Batman episode: The Breakout from season 4, episode 5. This is of course assuming you don’t want to read the comics)
5) And our final pick is probably the one most out of left-field (even more so than replacement District Attorney), and that would be for Tom Hardy to play a simple gangster in the movie. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight have done a terrific job of setting up the fact that the mob/gangsters of Gotham are serious business. Since his role in Batman Begins though, we have heard very little from the Falcone family. Perhaps it is time for a new head of the family. Enter Tom Hardy. He doesn’t need to play any particular member of the Falcone clan, but having the family gain more power in the 3rd film would help to elevate the status of organized crime in the Nolanverse.
Thank you for entertaining my mindless speculation. Only thing that’s left to do is wait for the big reveal! Or hit up the comments section below with your own speculation!