Review Shooter: Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie
This is the 2nd Power Ranger movie I’ve watched in a week and I really don’t know where to begin so let’s steal a Wiki about it…
The evil space alien Divatox plans to unleash the dark forces of Maligore, a powerful, fiery creature imprisoned inside a volcano on the magical island of Nuiranthias. She can reach the island only by traveling through the dangerous Nemesis Triangle, and for that she needs the special powers of the magician Lerigot. But Lerigot flees to earth, seeking the only people who can stand against Divatox and her plan the Power Rangers. Along with the new Blue Ranger, their turbo powered Zords, and the unexpected help of the original Power Rangers set out on their most thrilling and dangerous adventure yet!
This is the 2nd major movie for the Power Rangers franchise, and would be the last as well. Unlike the original movie, this one fits into the continuity of the actual show taking place in between Power Rangers Zeo and Power Rangers Turbo. It would see the return of several original Power Rangers as well as appearances from Rita and Zedd, but how does the movie fare?
What We Liked:
- The movie does eventually end.
- Appearances by Kimberly and Jason (original pink and red Rangers)
What We Didn’t Like:
- Pretty much everything else in the movie. Let’s be honest, the acting in Power Rangers isn’t great, but never really terrible so that isn’t a negative. Costume design again fits in well with the look of the series, just everything else.
- The plot, I honestly have no idea what’s going on. I believe the new big bad is trying to open some secret island so she can marry some lava monster and gain control of a planet, which I’m fairly certain wasn’t originally Earth. Even by Power Rangers standards, this is dumb.
- The action, there is a 47 minute gap before the first major action piece in this movie. Listen, I get that sometimes people want to build their world before they start throwing in random fights, but this is Power Rangers, no one comes for the plot or characterization because honestly it doesn’t change.
- The Zeo Zords, outside of a random morphing sequence near the middle of the movie, nothing is ever mentioned about the Zeo powers. They just kind of go away. Same with the Zeo Zords. When they got the Turbo Zords wasn’t even an explanation as to WHY they were building them or WHY they needed them now.
- The final battle was anti-climatic, after this big build up, the main foe was done away with pretty quickly.
- The damn alien and their design. LOOKED AWFUL! I mean they looked like cheap plastic toys.
I know, I know why should I even review a Power Rangers movie, I did dig the original and while it doesn’t age well due to the CG, its still a fun ride. This movie isn’t. Its a trainwreck and a bore. Be one or the other, not both!