WrestleMania season is in the air as we are less than a week away from the Grand-Daddy of them all! As have become tradition, we will have an episode of Nerds on the Rocks dedicated to WrestleMania and its build, but wanted to supplement that coverage by offering WrestleMania themed articles all this week on NoTR. Its an interest I love so why not. We will try and highlight different parts of WrestleMania during the week.
Starting today with the Top 7 Wrestler Intros in WrestleMania history. These are pulled together from a variety of factors including their memorability, their cool factor and overall imagery. Also in order to make the list a bit more balanced, we’re limiting it to one intro per wrestler.
7) Triple H at WrestleMania 22- Some entrances are remembered for how iconic and memorable they are, others are remembered for just how goofy and cartoony they can be. Triple H has had his share of great entrances, but the one that will forever be tied to him is his appearance at WrestleMania 22. During his King of Kings phase, someone thought it would be a great idea to dress Triple H up as a barbarian king, and let him go out there. It worked to some extent because its one WrestleMania entrance we will never forget.
6) The Miz at WrestleMania 27- This is one of those questionable inclusions, you either love or hate The Miz’ entrance at WrestleMania 27. It is fairly simple, but also so awesome with AWESOME spelled in giant balloon letters, and The Miz makes his way through that. There’s really not much else to it, but its just a fantastic image. (Sorry for the poor quality video)
5) John Cena at WrestleMania 25- John Cena has had some questionable WrestleMania entrances, who could ever forget his race car one at WrestleMania 23 or the gangsters at WrestleMania 22, but he has also had some fairly awesome one. His entrance at WrestleMania 25 has got to take the cake as a Cenation (If I can steal the term) lines up before Cena comes running down a sea of clones. It really does create an awesome image in your mind, and it plays with Cena’s history as the Army comes out to his original theme.
4) The Rock at WrestleMania 19-Sometimes, the simplest entrances are still the most effective. This intro is carried more by the general atmosphere around the match, and the set itself. The WrestleMania stage design doesn’t always get the respect it deserves, but 19 is one of the best. Between the Rock’s prolonged TitanTron, his face on the backdrop of his entrance or the way the WrestleMania sign is framed about half way through the entrance makes it an entirely worthwhile package.
3) “Macho Man” Randy Savage at WrestleMania 7- An entrance is a wrestler’s time to shine, and very few use it as an opportunity to gain additional heat or build their character, but that’s exactly what the Macho King and Queen Sherri did at WrestleMania 7 as they are carried to the ring by “peasants” as if not a care in the world during his Career-Threatening match. Of course, this is made all the more bittersweet by the fact that Macho’s former squeeze, Ms. Elizabeth, is seated at ringside.
2) The Undertaker at WrestleMania 9- The Demon of Death Valley, The Deadman, the Phenom, The Undertaker is known for his legendary undefeated streak at WrestleMania, but he is also remembered for having some of the best entrances on The Grandest Stage of them All. Picking a single one of his entrance as the best was a tough ordeal, he has “Floated” to the ring, ascended from hell itself and even walked through hellfire. But to us, his most memorable was one of his easiest and most simple. Being driven to the ring on the back of a chariot at WrestleMania 9 with a vulture perched nearby symbolized who the Undertaker was.
1) Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 12- Perhaps the most iconic entrance in the history of WrestleMania. No one will ever forget the image of Shawn Michaels soaring through the air and landing among a sea of fans. For the man dubbed as Mr. WrestleMania, it is only fitting that he has the most memorable Mania entrance of them all.
There you have it, our Top 7 Most Memorable WrestleMania entrances.